Monday, September 17, 2007

A Good Day For Shooting

Had a good day shooting at the women's soccer games today (Sports Backers Stadium). A few new habits I'm getting into really helped: looking over sports photos that I like (for the sports I will be shooting), helps get the creative juices flowing and gives me an idea for the types of angles, and shots I need to be taking. For the first game, I shot the game from the top row of the stands, it gave me a higher point-of-view, allowing me to cut out the distracting background that surrounds Sports Backers. It make it a lot easier for me to get photos withouts that contained soft backgrounds, that wouldn't conflict with the action. I shot with a lot more burst fires, which I hadn't been doing as much in the past, this led to a lot more opportunities for good shots. I was also really patient with my shooting, I didn't snap off shots I knew wouldn't turn out, I relied more on my timing on the decisive moment, I wanted for shots to develop and did my best to wait for the athletes to be facing the camera, allowing for better photographs. Studying photos from sports photographers I respect has definitely made a difference in my work, so has just going out and doing it. I definitely feel more confident with my shooting, especially for soccer. Field hockey is still a little weird at times, the game planes change a lot quicker, more like lacrosse, which leads to you having to rely on your familiarity with the game, predicting the next move. I can do this with lacrosse, but I have trouble with field hockey, this will be cleared up with more shooting though, I've only had one opportunity to shoot a game so far, where I've already shot 4 or 5 soccer games. I am a lot more confident, and less bashful with my shooting, sometimes I would feel awkward, almost embarrassed to shoot. Now I don't even hesitate to break out my camera and start snapping away, I feel right at home with sports, which leads me to believe I have a promising future in the field. I just have such a great time sitting on the sideline, taking in the atmosphere, the sounds of the crowd cheering. Everything about sporting events I just love, and being able to be so close and intimate with the game, I feel right at home on the sideline of sporting events. Can't wait until my next game, I may bring my camera up to Cary St. before my class tomorrow, shoot some field hockey practice, maybe pick-up soccer, I think there might even be some tennis going around. I'll just walk around, see what I can find, snap away. For now, its lights out, time for a little bit more reading, and some shut eye.

No comments: