Tuesday, November 13, 2007

3 Little Words

I've been trying to come up with words that I can use for my final presentation, its just hard coming up with something that really combines all the emotions and athleticism that comes from sports. I guess first I can list off the words, then seperately talk about why I've considered these ones in particular. Determination, Athleticism, Aggression, Triumph, Loyalty, Dedication, Sacrifice.

Determination: firm or fixed intention to achieve a desired end

within my photographs you see moments where players are giving everything they've got to come out on top, whether sprinting for a ball, jumping in front of a shot, anything really. The idea is that the individual does anything within their power to sacrifice for their team, its about giving your personal best.

Athleticism: possessing vigor : full of physical or mental strength or active force

the idea that the players in these photos show that physical strength and ability and overcome in a play in sports. I see this when someone runs past a defender or jumps beyond their limit, stretching out to make a catch that no one thought possible. Sports amaze me everyday, and i think its because sports have become a lifestyle, athletes these days are getting bigger, stronger, and faster.

Aggression: a forceful action or procedure (as an unprovoked attack) especially when intended to dominate or master

I find in sports that this is always present, whether between strong rivalries or just another game on the schedule. The tension between each athlete, especially in sports involving physical contact, theres always controversy, exchange of words, and cheap shots, its part of the game. But within my images, the acts of playing tough defense, a slide tackle, they all show the ugliness of sports, which is important, because its always present, even in a friendly sports, competition keeps it interesting.

Triumph:
the joy or exultation of victory or success

To me, this idea is expressed when you play a team oriented sport, know you've done everything within your power for your team, and end up on top. Theres no better feeling than a victory, and one of my struggles has been to embody this idea as best as i can, whether the exressions on players faces, the winning goal, even the players running onto the field when time regulation runs out. All of these fulfill this definition, but at the same time, its been done before, even though the image is always different, the particular actions are pretty worn out. But learning from photographers before me and their work, I can push to find the new definition of getting a W.

Loyalty:
the quality or state or an instance of being loyal

Loyalty has to be one of the most important to me. If you plan to play on a team with others, its obvious, you have to be completely loyal to the people beside you. They have to know they can rely on you, and vice versa, this is one of the most important parts of becoming a successful team, if theres no trust, its difficult to be successful in any team effort.

Dedication:

I couldn't find a great definition, so thats TBA. But dedication, to me, its close to loyalty. Its obvious, when part of a team, you always do as you're expected, and try to go beyond. You also play your part, playing your position to the fullest, you use full concentration, don't hold back. I'm not much of a motivational speaker but dedication means you're reliable.

Sacrifice:
destruction or surrender of something for the sake of something else

With sports, i find sacrifice comes more often than not, if you're dedicated that is. Most sacrifice comes in the form of your body, injuries that is. I've seen my fair share of them, basically because when i go onto the field to play, nothing gets in my way. Except when I damaged ligaments in my elbow. The fact is, if you're a team players, theres nothing you wont do to get a win, even if it means taking a shot to the body if the goalie comes out of the goal. Anything that comes way, you do unquestioned. Sacrifice comes hand and hand with dedication, you know what has to happen, and you do so, regardless of the circumstances or consequences.




No comments: