Monday, October 15, 2007

Saturday Lacrosse























Just thought I'd write a little entry, documenting my weekend in shooting. I didn't have as much opportunity to shoot over the weekend, mainly because of web design, but I get out and shoot a lacrosse game. We had a VCU Alumni Lacrosse game, had a good turn out. I only got the first half, our alumni team fell behind, so I jumped in and played the second half, had a lot of fun doing it, first time i've played a game of lacrosse since summer. While I was shooting, I did start to work on different aspects, such as shooting manual exposure, usually I set my camera to Aperture Priority and shoot away, but I've been wanting to practice shooting more in manual, so I can have a lot more control over my images. It gets weird at times, cuz you have to go back and forth on the shutter speed in order to prevent from over/underexposure. Takes getting used to, while you're panning back and forth, following the game, you also have to be turning knobs, and making sure you're turning them in the right direction, its a lot to think about simultaneously. Eventually it will just become second nature, so I won't have to worry about it, just need a start working it more and more, until I shoot full manual for all my sporting events.
I do feel like I got some good photos for the lacrosse game, honestly just haven't had the time to look through them all. Its been kinda hectic with all the school work I've been working on: had a paper due, website i've been trying to crank out, editing photos, the list keeps going. But I should be okay now, getting more and more done, so I won't have to worry about it so much later.

Forgot to mention, I should be traveling with the VCU lacrosse team. They alway like to have pictures from their games. I still have to figure out their schedule for fall ball, I don't even think they know yet, supposed they were gonna play in a tournament with a lot of really good teams, we were just gonna be a fall break this weekend, so we can't make it. Would have been a great time to shoot some photos, teams like UVA, Duke, Roanoke, Lynchburg, all top-notch teams. Either way, while traveling with the lacrosse team, I should be able to get some documentary, photos as well, like stopping at diners before the game, showing up at the field bright and early for games. Being able to photograph them in that manner seperate from playing on the field, it'll show a whole other side of the team, and more diversity in my photography. Because I played on the team for 2 years, I am real familiar with the team also, which I feel will help break down the barrier between the guys and the camera, some people find it uncomfortable. I do know a few guys on the team eat that kinda shit up though.

No comments: