Thursday, August 30, 2007

Today was a good day


So, I was pretty happy about today, had an informal presentation to the class, went over real well. I showed the class some works from my "second nature" body. It really surprised me to hear some of the responses I got from Paul in class. In a previous class, my work didn't go over too well. I can understand why though, looking back on the class, and my work. I beleive the quality was good, but I did have trouble pulling it all together. With the "sealife" work I didn't think I ever got any good feedback in critique, so hearing him discuss the topic in class definitely made me happy. I know certain people looked at me and noticed too, they were in the same class as me, with Vitka. I had always considered grad school, put thought into University of Florida, I've looked into the program, looks pretty good, Jerry Uelsmann taught there for some time. I also love gator sports, we've had some good karma lately in sports as of late.

One opinion about concepts that I realized from Paul's remarks (about how I spoke about my work in class): concept doesn't necessarily have to be a complex topic, something that only super intelligent people get. Concept just means the work you create is thoroughly researched, thought out, and planned. I don't feel that my "sealife" work was extremely sophisticated, I just came up with a topic I was passionate about, and related to my interests (sculpture, photo, painting, etc.). I do want to continue working on that body of work this year, just not as a class. Those works are going into the VMFA this year, maybe try and get some help with my artist statement before I submit. I'm considering doing some other photos to submit as well, just need to go back to the drawing board for photos. I had some good ideas, but I think more complexity and color, as Vitka had pushed me towards, was bad advice. Keeping with the consistency of the first photographs, its more about having easily identifiable sea animals, and being able to photograph these sculptures to make people believe they're alive.

Sports is my next goal to tackle, I've always had a big passion for sports, but I never really found my part in it. Being only 5'11", I was never suited for basketball or football. Soccer and lacrosse, I can do, but soccer wasn't exciting enough for me, I love the physicality of lacrosse. I just started a little late, so I'm behind in the skills. Anyways, I find that the mesh between sports and photography is a perfect match. I'm still caught in the middle of the action, but I can still use my artist judgement to interpret my experience. My artist skills have always overwhelmed my athletic ones.

No comments: