Sunday, April 6, 2008

Semester Recap

Looking back on this semester's body of work, I do feel there were some areas I could improve on. Overall, I would say I created a lot of work that I was happy with, however, it did not follow the kind of structure that Paul wanted me to follow. He wanted me to take a different approach to photographing sports this semester, rather than shooting stock sports work, he wanted a more photojournalist approach to my work. I agree with his comments, trying to expand my range of photographs would help make my photographs more diverse, but at the same time, it is my decision to photograph whatever I want. Honestly, the reason I chose to continue with my current route in work was based on the amount of work I had already done. I had stuck with sports, because it is what I want to pursue for a career, and I'm already have lots of success. I still have some time to pull the body of work together and try and capture the sport of lacrosse, I'm going to a big game next week and I'm hoping to photograph some local youth games soon, I just had other events to photograph this past week and didn't have the opportunity to make it out there recently. As of now, lacrosse season is in full swing, so it shouldn't be too hard. I only need 2 or 3 photos for the senior art show, and final critique for class is in May, that gives me a good couple weeks to work still.

I did want to shoot a wide range of sports, as i'm doing now, for my senior portfolio work, but it seems like people weren't as interested with that. Honestly, I don't care what they think, but I feel like by shooting different sports, I have more diverse photos, which I particularly like. I feel like shooting just one sport isn't really doing it for me for a body of work, but I really didn't want to shoot anything but sports for this class, plus we were supposed to continue our work from last semester. I'm actually really happy with the work that I've done over this semester, I've stayed productive, learned a lot about shooting photographs and made some great contacts. Not to mention, picking up some big photo jobs already. Everything seems to be coming together for me, i'm pretty siked about my future. Just because I haven't created a cohesive, conceptual body of work, doesn't mean I haven't made an impressive sports photography portfolio, and at this moment, thats all I'm really concerned.

No comments: