Thursday, September 6, 2007

Peter Read Miller

I found a link that I wanted to post up real quick, it features tips and techniques for shooting football. Obviously, I won't be shooting too much football at VCU, but the things he says a really important to me. He makes some good points, as a pro photographer, but also makes me think more about the different aspects I could be focusing on when I shoot games. Since it was my first batch of soccer games to photograph, I did bounce back and forth between subjects because I was really anxious to try out my new lens. I think next time I need to keep his ideas in the back of my mind, maybe even have a small sketchpad with different subjects to concentrate on, thinks like: offense, defense, portraits, reactions, players not in game, coaches. Taking these considerations before I start shooting, I can better focus on a specific photo I want to get within the game, soccer players jumping for a header, player running past defense, goalie jumping for ball, etc. Plan my shots ahead of time, so I'm not shooting random players, or just following the ball. Anyways, this got longer than I expected. Here is the link.

Peter Read Miller















Just looking through his images, really inspires me to keep shooting and work towards my goal of being a sports photographer. Why not? Its a perfect mix of sports and art, you interpret the event with the manipulation of the came
ra. I can only imagine capturing college football for a job, the athleticism, sense of atmosphere. So many aspects make the photo below just incredible.

I'
ve taken a lot of thought into attending one of these lecture/workshops taught be Peter Read Miller, or one offered by Sports Shooter Academy, both have highly respects individuals teaching the events. I just really want to run with it, give it everything I can. If I dont' make it, I'll at least know I gave it my best. I honestly think that this could be my niche though, I love the idea of photographing sports because its utilizing your technical skills with a camera, but you also get the excitement and unpredictability of sports. Being able to capture these events, the atmosphere, audience, its a perfect marriage. Not to mention I love the outdoors. I've invested a lot of time so far this semester, keeping on top of my classes, especially this one and "pro practice", I'm really just trying to learn the business end (to look out for myself in the future), and follow my dreams. Someone has to photograph the amazing images of locations and events that most only view through media, such as television. Why can't I be the one to bring the images to them?

No comments: