Sunday, September 2, 2007

Good Saturday

Saturday was an exciting day for sports. It was opening day for college football, which I was extremely excited about. Most of the top ranked teams pulled out wins as they should, seems that opening day is usually scheduled as an easy win, especially at home. Most games went according to plan, except for the Michigan vs. Appalachian State at The Big House. Offensively the teams were
back and forth, it seemed that Michigan's defensive wasn't playing up to their expectations. In the end the game came down to a blocked field goal which ran out the clock, final score of 34-32 Appalachian State, a division I-AA team. I loved every season of it, I've never been a huge Michigan fan, they have talent, but after living with my roommate last year, who thought they were the greatest, I don't so much care for them now.

Another big moment in sports last night, rookie pitcher Clay Buchholz for the Boston Red Sox pitches a no-hitter. A very rare
event even with veteran pitchers, occurs in his second start as a major leaguer. Buchholz was aquired through the draft as compensation for the trade of Pedro Martinez. Seems the Red Sox managers made a great choice in giving more depths to their bullpens before October.

Attended 2 soccer games at Sports Backers Stadium today, shot for about 5 hours, getting sunburned (forgot sunscreen). First game was Adelphi vs. Virginia Tech which led to the Hokies coming out on top with a score of 5-1. It was an ugly offensive onslaught, along with a mass amount of yellow cards issued throughout the day. The second game was VCU vs. Albany, as the Rams came out on top with their second win this weekend with the finals scores of 4-0. Tying the national powerhouse Maryland, I'd say that VCU Men's soccer is off to a good start this season, hoping amounting to another visit to the NCAA tournament.

I will have photos posted up tomorrow, got home a little late, and don't feel like messing with photos while I'm worn out from the sun. I think I got some good shots, one of my favorites was a trip in the box, which led to a penalty for VCU, scoring their first day of the day. I got some other shots as well, but it was my first time photographing soccer, I think I learned more about where I need to stand to get better shots, need to work on the timing a little more as well. It would be really nice to get a second Nikon digital body, I had trouble when the action would get in close when I was standing along the sidelines or behind the goal. At the second half, I switched to my 50-300 lens (i think thats what it is?), which gave me a more success when I was trying to get photos of shots on goal, a player going around a defender. I think the more I shoot, the more I will get down the timing, you really have to get a rhythm for the game. I watch it and played it some, but sitting behind a lens and being able to zoom in and out, it makes it a little awkward at first. Overall, I'm excited about the season, and my future work in sports photography. VCU plays UNC in Richmond in a few weeks, UNC were National Champions a few years back, so this is going to be a great game, and an opportunity to get photos at a big match, maybe even get a crowd out there this time. For now, I'm going to download my photos from today and get them ready for my one-on-one meeting, pretty interested in getting some feedback. I think I just need a few more times out to get a feel, but great shots are just a matter of time, you don't happen on every play. Looking at photographers helps me out, giving me ideas for composition, how to frame. Thats about all I have to say for tonight.

No comments: